A little good news for a nice change.
The NZ First Party has been uniquely fair and consistent – over time – in their support of lawful gun owners.
Here is their official policy in our area of concern:
New Zealand First’s firearms policy is based on two important and complementary fundamental principles; firstly, that the public have a right to be protected from those with the potential to misuse firearms.
Secondly, that law-abiding firearms licence holders have the right to use firearms safely and responsibly for hunting, target shooting, recreation, pest control and other lawful purposes.
New Zealand First will:
- Restore the Lifetime Licence, with an amnesty for lifetime licence holders who did not renew when the licence was changed to a 10 year licence.
- Scrap the MSSA classification, but retain the ‘E’ category licence for those permitted to use large capacity magazines. Establish a separate Firearms Authority independent of the Police, to oversee the implementation and enforcement of firearms-related law.
- Restrict the ownership of powerful and realistic replica airguns to FAL holders regardless of age.
- Increase minimum strength standards for ‘A’ category gun safes including a requirement for steel construction.
- Restore the use of lead shot for waterfowl hunting in all gauges.
- Provide police with the necessary resources and powers to scrutinize and vet the suitability of individuals to own firearms (including the right to access medical records).
- Review the results of Firearm Law Reforms implemented in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom.
- Increase penalties (including minimum sentences) for firearm offences including improper possession and improper storage.
- Resource increased random inspections of licensees premises to check the security of firearms.
The Kiwi Gun Blog does not want to alienate any reader by recommending a political party. There are several options for a voter. Each who feel differently about many policy areas.
So we will just say that the NZ First party has been supporting us – it would be good if a lot of shooters supported them. Even with a tactical party vote. Then told them what they were doing.
They can be contacted here: http://www.nzfirst.org.nz/
The NZ First Party was also the ONLY political party that said that it would even consider the harsh, mandatory, no parole sentences suggested by the Kiwi Gun Blog for those who offend with our stolen guns.