HERE IS THE KIWI GUN BLOG’S SUBMISSION AGAINST THE SUPPLEMENTARY ORDER PAPER
I am writing to oppose the supplementary order paper.
1. It seeks to solve problems that don’t exist. No such modified pistols have EVER been used in a New Zealand crime to my knowledge.
2. The proposals are completely outside the remit of this bill. This is not a tweak of the existing proposals – it is an utterly random addition. As such, it is an abuse of the proper process.
3. The suggested changes undo forty years of legal precedent.
The definitions are so rushed and ill-considered that they could see vicious criminals escape justice. They will cause legal chaos.
4. There is NO need to rush ANY changes. Do it right.
5. There is no mention of compensation for the losses that the proposed changes will cause lawful shooters.
6. The changes will impact precious collector firearms that are never shot.
Parts would need to be removed and stored elsewhere. Even removing them could do expensive damage. Impossible to replace parts may be lost. Theft or accidental loss raises questions of liability.
7. As for the pistols fitted to rifle chassis systems – Police have painted themselves into a corner.
They said that there could not be a sporting exemption for semi auto rifles because there was no governing body like the NZ Pistol Association to manage such events.
EVERY pistol system that they now intend to target IS already under the NZ Pistol Association control.
8. Even as the IPSC shooting discipline is being considered for Olympic inclusion – Police would destroy the sport here. They should surprise us all and actually target criminals.
9. Police now demand the right to declare any pump action rifle illegal. On a whim. Such draconian powers are not needed and are sure to be abused.
Such powers make honest New Zealander’s incredibly vulnerable
Please reject this inexcusable power grab by a Police force that is out of control.